Monday, February 8, 2010

I think I need a new heart.


Valentines Day- a day of passion and romance- a day to shower the one you love with gifts and affection under the moonlight whilst feeding each other chocolate covered strawberries and reading Petrarch.

Valentines Day- a corporate strategy to boost chocolate and greeting card sales while exploiting the loneliness of American slobs and singles alike.

No matter how you define it, Valentine's Day is rapidly approaching. As I watch my fellow humans scramble to pull together some shit that will be better than what their significant other's ex did, or bitch endlessly about the hypocrisy of the holiday- I am compelled to join a side.

I have some pretty phenomenal Valentine's Day memories. I had some fly BFs in High School that spoiled the shit out of me, and golly was that nice! I also equate Valentine's Day with my parents: Meem always buys Bitsey and I some little thing that she knows we want but would never buy for ourselves and my heart still smiles thinking about running down to the kitchen on Valentine's morning to see the ridiculously enormous box of chocolates resting on Bitsey and I's spots at the table from our Daddy. These traditions have been in place for as long as I can remember. Maybe I'm a pathetic loser, but that is what I think of when I think of Valentines.

At the same time there are some shit memories of VDay. The worst fight my #1 BF and I had was on Valentine's Day. I had to work that night but I made a concerted effort to buy this boy little trinkets and some fly undergarments (technically for me). Homeboy dropped off a letter at my restaurant. I was so excited to see if it would be the clues to a scavenger hunt or some foolish waste of time, but it was quite the opposite. He stated how he had walked into the grocery store and saw a swarm of middle aged men buying half wilted flowers and chocolates and wanted nothing to do with that. He said that he loved me everyday and didn't see the point in celebrating a made up holiday. Needless to say I was fucking pissed. But with the wisdom and bitterness that comes with being a 2 year spinster, I see where he was coming from. Would you rather have a partner who laughs with you, helps you take out the trash and loves you 365 days a year or some scrub who buys you flowers once a year and ignores you the other 364?

For me, the jury is out on this holiday. Due to my confus
ion I have made two Valentine's Day playlists for you little monsters. One is for the lovers out there. Its a little played out, but its my favorites. Perfect music to listen to on the way to your reservations at Macaroni Grill or just laying in bed starring into each other's baby blues. The other is for those with a more jaded view of St Valentine. Its great for drinking alone, crying deeply or throwing all those old Teddy-bears you received on Valentines past. 

Whatever your style, consider this my Valentines gift to you. I'll keep the heart shape box of chocolates for myself and eat them in one sitting as I watch Titanic and text my mom. Which ever you choose though, remember to love everyone every single solitary day. Life is to short not to shower those we love with love despite what the calendar may say. I love loving. I do it everyday. 


Lowlights- She's a rejector, Cocaine Blues, I'm leaving because I don't love you, Heart of Glass


Highlights- I will, Kooks, Earth Angel, My Body's a Zombie for you, These Old Shoes, Home

**This playlist also includes Chicago, as it is my Parent's wedding song (for my aunt Phyllis). Love you Meem and Topo!

No comments: